CIC IT Accessibility Interest Group Coordination and Planning Meeting Notes
May 4th, 2007

Present:

Jon Gunderson, UIUC

Christy Blew, UIUC

Hadi Bargi Rangin, UIUC

Charmane Corcoran, Michigan State

Margaret Londgren, Indiana

Bob Kahel, OSU

Brian McMurray, UIUC


CIC IT Accessibility and Usability Coordination Teleconference

Notes for Friday, May 4

 

1. CIC IT Accessibility and Usability Conference at U. Minnesota

 

Phil Kragnes, update on conference logistics: Phil says the registration form is ready. The form will take care of conference and room registration. There is a block of rooms reserved for June 19-20. The block of rooms for the 21st is a separate option because most people will be leaving. The Wednesday evening meal venue will be Old Spaghetti Factory, not Brit's Pub. Phil will be gone May 26 to June 18, but his supervisor and staff can take care of any questions. He is still waiting for the price quote for the shuttle service, and he'll have to find out what university Para transit service schedule is. He also put in a request for wireless accounts, so everyone will have one.

 

Update from Panel Moderators -- breakout sessions

 

Web Accessibility: Making the Case to Administrators -- Phil is the moderator. Christian Johansen, Hadi and Kevin said they'd be interested in being on the panel. Phil said there's a CSS group from his university that would be interested if they could come.

 

Purchasing Policy: Panel participants for Purchasing Policy are Margaret Londergan, Ken Petri, and Sharmaine Cocraine. Phil will contact Karen Triplet from the purchasing department.

 

Learning management systems: Hadi is moderator. Participants include Ken and Phil. Jon will send an e-mail to encourage Mike Elledge to come. Jon suggested that Mike could also talk about learning objects.  

 

Captioning and Sign Language: Mari Maglar will no longer be moderating this session; instead, Angie Anderson has been volunteered and will be asked if she is willing. Other participants include Brian McMurray and Scott Marshall; Margaret would be willing to contribute information on the Indiana University podcasting style guide and other efforts.

 

Bibliographic and Other Library systems: Hadi is moderator. Participants include Jon and Ken. Jon said he will try and get someone from his library to come, but this conference conflicts with ALA Conference. Christian Johansen said he is meeting with the Penn State University Library to inform them of what this group is doing.

 

Document conversion: Margaret Londergan is the moderator. Other participants include Angie Anderson, Sheen Hua from MN, and Mike Venzon from Iowa.

 

Disability Service Providers: Brian McMurray moderating. Participants include Mike Venzon. 

 

Web Access Policy and Conformance: Jon is the moderator. Interested panel participants include Sharmain Cochraine, Ken Peachry, Christian, Phil and Margaret.

 

Mike said he is trying to encourage people from Iowa to come to the conference.

 

2. CIC Working Group on IT Accessibility and Usability discussion:

 

Proposed governance model for working group: The group met last Friday to talk about the governance proposal. Leadership would consist of chair and co-chair, depending on who hosts the face-to-face meeting. Preceding each face-to-face meeting, the person instituting that meeting would be co-chair and would become chair after that meeting. These responsibilities will rotate to each university. Phil would become chair of the group, and Sharmain would become the co-chair after the meeting. 

 

Developing a list of official working members: A CIC listserv would be put together. The smaller listserv will have e-mails sent out about monthly teleconferences.

 

Other people who will be on mailing list and who will regularly attend meetings: Participation can be open to a large group of people. Up to 4 people could be on CIC listserv.It would also be important to send links to the CIC website related to IT accessibility resources on each campus.

 

Contact person to be put on CIC website for working group: There would be a main contact person on a web page for each campus. That way, if someone wanted to know what was happening for each campus and had question, they could contact one specific person. 

3. Purchasing Policies:

 

Tom Delanty, purchasing at UIUC, is present on this teleconference. Tom will check to see if he can attend the conference.

 

Jon says that if all CIC institutions had a common accessible purchasing policy, that would be ideal because everyone buys things. Also, vendors can incorporate software agreements. Tom says there's a CIC Purchasing Consortium. They have pursued a number of joint contracts; there are 12 or 13 agreements in place. They are buying things that more than one university can use. Web Accessibility group could develop a working relationship with the Purchasing Consortium, whose current chair is Mike Hardiman from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. All directors of purchasers from Big Ten institutions have a spring meeting coming up, and Karen Triplet will probably be at that meeting. Spring meeting will maybe in Chicago, Tom says, because past meetings have been held there; however, he is unsure of the date the meeting takes place. Jon says he and maybe others could attend and make a short presentation and develop a relationship with them.

 

Links to Policies: On the CIC website, Concerns related to purchasing: Purchasers should inquire about Section 508 conformance. If it's a web resource, companies say either yes or no. Most companies know to say yes to everything. Most purchasing people don't know much about the requirements. Jon and others want to ask for specific features in a website such as section on standards, use technology supportive of accessibility; resources created or design using HTML, Methyl, Css; open standards that support accessibility. Another component of accessibility concerns HTML navigation. The first requirement of HTML navigation is unique title, defined by using the title attribute and H1 elements. H1 content has to be a subset of title content. Functional evaluators such as the Firefox extension can be used to test accessibility.

 

The importance of filling out such a lengthy purchasing report is you're telling the vendors exactly what you want. An example of desirable feature was focus styling using CSS for indicating focus or getting rid of inline styling.

 

There are five ways a company can respond to accessibility requirements: (1) it's part of the product; (2) requires non-code modification--this is an easy fix and does not require code modification; (3) it would require modifying the code; (4) it's not in this version but will be in future versions; (5) could not meet requirement. This helps the companies look for accessibility. Most companies are actually happy to have design requirements rather than a vague reference to W3C or 508 requirements.

 

Next teleconference dealing with Purchasing Policy: Friday, June 1. Hopefully, people from purchasing group can join.