Ebsco Accessibility Interest Group

Campus Information Technologies and Educational Services (CITES) and Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES)

University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign

All Meetings/Teleconferences

Meeting/Teleconference Details

Date: 2007-03-16

Time: 10:00 AM CDT

Agenda

Minutes

EBSCO Accessibility Teleconference 16 March 2007 Minutes

Next meeting

Attendees

Regrets

Discussion

Scribing Error

Many of the comments attributed to Kimie Kester (KK) were actually from Khalilah Gambrell (KG), apologies from the scribe for this error.

Hadi's Comments

HR: People liked the video clips seem to have been very helpful

HR: Thank you for EBSCO for dedicating their time and efforts for accessibility

HR: The demo server is important for communication and keeping on the same page

HR: Code fragments are difficult to understand out of context sometimes

HR: Some people view accessibility as only screen reader access and we what to make sure we look at all disabilities and a wider range of assistive technologies

HR: I invite EBSCO people to participate in Accessing Higher Ground conference

EBSCO Proposals

KG: Thank you for your help in making EBSCO more accessible

KG: The videos were very helpful

KG: Here is a list of things for next release (April), based on documentation you provided and the video

KG: Add page title information, to the actual page, it will say EBSCO search, etc..,so people will know what page they are on

KG: There is a section called narrow results by subject, so we are going to tag them all with an unordered list

KG: We will modify the published date limiter label, the dates are hard to associated with form controls

KG: We have tested with screen readers and it seems to work well

KG: We have emptied the javascript function

KG: One thing from the video is noting whether people are on the results list page, we will add a label called results

KG: It is not a heading it is a label with unclear what the 1 through 10, we are adding the text “Results”

KP: I just sent in issues, one is related to this range information, this should be a heading to help people navigate to the results.

HR: This is also on the issues list

KG: I am writing this down as a potential change

KG: We have setup access keys for navigation

KG: We are waiting to get the demo server setup with these changes

HR: Will the demo server be available before April

KG: I am not sure, I will let you know as soon as possible

HR: This is very important to improve communication and make sure we are all talking about the same thing. Many times there are misunderstandings

KG: We are working on getting the demo server setup, any changes though have to be evaluated for whether we can make the changes

KK: We cannot not make changes instantaneously

HR: Can you send us source code?

JR: Code shots are very useful

KK: I will check to see if we can send code shots

KK: The final one for the April release, is navigation

KK: We want users to be able to TAB through navigation and have focus changes be visible

KK: We changed the proposal based on Jon feedback

KK: We will use H1 and H2 ..

HR: Are you going to hide navigation?

KK: The navigation will be hidden, we don't know the impact of add more text on the interface

HR: Just for your information some people with LD benefit from this information

KK: The top navigation, secondary navigation

KK: The page title would be in H1 and primary would

JG: Navigation bars should be h2

HR: There maybe sub headings, structural markup

KK: I will confir with the people building these headers, there maybe other options

KK: The header being hidden for people using screen readers,

JG: When you disable styling does the document linearize well

HR: Form controls?

KK: We will have the corrected from date, managing form labels, and can be interpreted, that will be an item that will be taken care of, but not complete by April

HR: When you are addressing the month and year issues, you can take care of other form controls

KK: For us to verify the labels, it has to part of a different project, so that will be a part of the next release, summer or fall, but it is a part of our plan

HR: Thats great

KP: The onChange event that triggers the blanking of the data base fields going to be addressed

KK: that will be addressed in a future version, we need to think about how to figure out to fix it, but it is part of the plan

KP: the problem with it is that onChange event makes a lot of changes and confusing to a screen reader user.

KK: We are looking how to make our drop downs more accessible and impact on other users

HR: The graphical icons are redundant links?

KK: It impacts quite a few icons on many pages, so it is a major change to change these all to null

KK: The proposals we made today are what we can do for April

KG: We are looking a July – August release for the next release

KK: One other issue for headers

KK: What is the best way to provide,

JG: State information should be part of the title: title, h1

KK: So h1 should be updated

KK: What about secondary navigation, the item they are currently selected may not be a hyper link

HR: We have this discussion with other companies, you have the information that it is selected

HR: Have an image icon or text that is is selected

JG: Header h1 should be used to indicate the current main content

KR: Taking about the interface form current view...

KK: You can browse the information in different ways

general discussion about basic and advanced search

JG: What accesskeys were you are planning on using

KK: I can get you the information

JG: Access keys have many problems, you can look at our best practices:
http://html.cita.uiuc.edu/nav/accesskeys.php

HR: Ken I got comments, i will update the issues list

Edit teleconference

Discussion List