Time: 2:30 PM EST; 1:30 PM CST; 12:30 PM MST; 11:30 AM PST
- URL to all collaboration home pages including Blackboard Accessibility Interest Group changed; new home page at: http://cita.disability.uiuc.edu/collaborate/blackboard/
- Update on sub-groups activities
Report by each sup-group leader/co-leader
- Update on accessibility related activities at Blackboard by Stephanie Cupp
- Minor restructuring the groups and their activities
- Renaming bb-idea to bb-design to reflect the goal of the subgroup better
- Focusing bb-design subgroup on new and unreleased products
- Continuing NDA requirement for bb-design members
- Using Blackboard server for collecting feedback on unreleased products
- Focusing bb-testing subgroup on already released products
- Removing NDA requirement for bb-testing members
- Using bb-testing/Wiki environment for collecting data for potential accessibility issues
- Mirroring issues recorded at Behind the Blackboard with the collaboration issue list
- Revising outstanding issues and posting them Behind the Blackboard
- Testing the New Grade Center
- Presentation at BBWorld 2008
Scribe: Alex Ku, Hadi Rangin
- Date: Monday April 07, 2008
- Time: 2:30 PM EDT; 1:30 PM CDT; 12:30 PM MDT; 11:30 AM PDT
- Phone: 217 265-8030
- Laurie Holden, Calstate
- Kevin price, UIC
- Dar millen, Blackboard
- William Murray, Blackboard
- Jon Gunderson, UIUC
- Phil Kragnes, UMN
- Don Amos, Pellissippi
- Nicaise Dogbo, UNR
- Mark Burris, UALR
- Kostas yfantis, UIUC
- Ella Herz, Blackboard
- Alex Ku, Blackboard
- Wayne Dick, CSULB
- Hadi Rangin, UIUC
A lot of communication behind the scenes
- Restructuring of subgroup
- There's a new production version of Grade System (Grade Center)
- Need to Setup a meeting to discuss some AX issue related to that
Reports from subgroups
- Huge correspondences regarding testing subgroup, restructuring and redefining its tasks
- Report information to Mark Burris who will be responsible for logging a ticket on Behind the Blackboard
- In the email you send to Mark, please include:
- Explanation of problem
- Steps to replicate (be as detailed as possible, and try to actually list out these steps)
- Bb Product and Version (Vista/CE or AS and version number)
- Any assistive technology used
- Use wiki on UIUC website,
- Update wiki on testing subgroup
- Create testing group page
- Open to suggestion from group
- Get accurate input from members of testing group
- Let everyone see at the same time challenges what others have observed
Blackboard doc subgroup
- Help Bb AX in learning style
- Universal design unit
- Documentations that they can use, available by June
- Create new materials for their wiki
Blackboard QA subgroup
- Manual Testing per week with guideline implemented
- Guideline has been put in place
- Testing of every pages
- Will Murray is the point person on AX guidelines Engineering follows
- Not usability testing, but tech level testing
- Policy Tester
- Blackboard just got training on this
- Goes through every page on 508, WCAG
- Provide feedback on what's wrong, and what std's been missed and in what way
- Have yet to figure out what to do with that tool yet
- "Testing perspective, people have variety of tool they use to test AX. We might be reporting information differently"
- If testing by one person tested and Bb can't reproduce it with their tool
- How can people communicate effectively the issues and reproduce it effectively
- John, "hence we've created a tool for us all to use so we can compare apples to apples"
- Hadi, "new version of tool: can it do 508?"
- John, "our tool is for functional testing from best practices" (More design approach)
- They already know they're doing the accessible way
- John, "tools in the market saying it's 508 compliant doesn't necessarily mean it's 508 compliant"
- About 80% of AX testing are manual checks
- People don't often spend those 80% of time to test for AX
- Will Murray: Guideline, whether all required code is available for screenreader used.
Educate internally, and allow engineers to follow
- Help ensure correct implementation of the code, and ensure what to look for is correct.
- Hadi, "Group can provide feedback"
"Design subgroup might be interested in the functional feature of the AX testing Bb has."
- Hadi, "testing should sync with code guidelines"
- Ella: One of the things we're looking at, "do whatever we can do is ensure every page is tested in every build cycle in a fast manner"
- Wayne: Mechanical test and manual test on 100+ pages on campus
60% of pages have mistakes that we'd get sued for
- Hadi: Stephanie usually gives updates on Bb AX
Would appreciate a written report if possible
Anyone wanting to join Design subgroup has to sign NDA agreement
- Dara, Didn't have much time to catch up with Stephanie before meeting
Will let Stephanie know a written report would be appreciated on latest update on Bb AX
- Hadi: To identify an issue, and be sure it's an issue, you need to
collect a lot of data
For Bb testing group, Mark can explain on procedure on how this group functions
- Mark: Testing group only evaluate existing products, hence no need to
Encouraged to communicate information
Now members send email with these information to Mark or
- Hadi: Wiki might be useful and is considered for tracking
these issues among members
Our group would benefit from a standard reporting format for reporting to Blackboard
Don't anticipate weeks to create a ticket
Look to do this within days
Members should look to wiki, try to replicate the issu on their own systems, collect the information, then Mark can create a ticket to Blackboard
Existing UIUC Bb webpage
- Created 3 issues this past week
- 2 were previous issues (reinstated)
- 1 was a new issue
- When you create a ticket, you get a reference #
You can place the link to the ticket on the site, and people can access to provide additional information to the ticket
- Hadi, "only administrator of campuses can access the Behind the Blackboard"
- Only people with specific privilege can access Behind the Blackboard
- To let people know issues and their status, we can track them on Collaboration website and let members to see if the issue's been tracked.
- Email issue to Bb testing mailing list if you can't find the issue on the Collaboration website.
- Hadi: UIUC has Upgraded to Vista 4
The interface has changed and the issues need to be revised
Spent the whole morning verifying a few issues
Still has 34 issues to verify
- Wayne can help take a few issues to verify
- Hadi: Perfect combination if assistive technology user can cooperate with sighted users to revise these issues
- Contact for Mark: firstname.lastname@example.org
Testing the Grade Center
- Grade Center is released, doesn't need NDA
- Issue - Modes available is not clear in functions/differences
- Falls under Bb Testing
- Difficult to test on Grade Center because navigation to Grade Center was difficult
- Dara, "Stephanie looking into providing a tool to help testing"
- Need a meeting about this
- Question, "Design cycle? Deadline to good to give feedback to?"
- Dara, "Stephanie to answer this question"
- None of the issues reported by Hadi were incorporated in Grade Center released
- There were specific issues provided for the Grade Center
- Feel like wasting time if they're not addressed in the new product
- Hope to get better results via a more structured way of the subgroups
- Dara, "We have them on file."
- Bb testing group - Put website available to the group. They run into problems reported earlier by John and Hadi.
- Dara, "Stephanie is the best person to answer these questions."
- Hadi, "Should those issues be moved to Bb testing or should we track those issues again?"
Presentation at Bb World 2008
- Hadi won't be joining
- Who's going there?
- Mark, "I'm going. But it'll be difficult to have a panel group if I'm the only person there."
- John, "Original design is to have a panel discussion."
- Need someone from this group who knows what's going on
- Phil volunteered to join remotely via the phone
- A lot of members from this group can't make it.
- What exactly is accomplished if we don't have a Core group of
- What'd be the viability of that?
- What's the goal of this group going?
- Bring attention to the group and bring more people into this group?
- Group is looking for Advanced topic
- As people expand the use of Bb, we're looking for more advanced topic. AX would be a good advanced topic.
- Decision seemed to be that there would be no presentation
- Grade Center meeting
- Mark come up with Template. Replicate the reporting function so when people submit information they can be sent over easily
- Please contact Hadi Rangin (e-mail: email@example.com) if you are interested to work to be included in any of the collaboration groups.