Time: 2:30 PM EDT; 1:30 PM CDT; 12:30 PM MDT; 11:30 AM PDT
- Update of on the letter to Blackboard
- Identifying key individuals in our colleges to sign the letter
- Update on the letter from CIOs to Blackboard
- Possibility of a QA member joining our discussion (Robert)
- Identify topics to be discussed with support team (all).
- Find out the status of IMS accessibility initiative (Saroj).
Blackboard/WebCT Accessibility teleconference minutes 04/19/2007
Scribe: Wayne Dick
- Date: Monday May 7, 2007
- Time: 2:30 PM EDT; 1:30 PM CDT; 12:30 PM MDT; 11:30 AM PDT
- Phone: 217 265-8030
- Scribe: TBD
- Hadi Rangin, Urbana/Champaign
- Konstantinos Yfantis, Urbana/Champaign
- Jon Gunderson, , University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
- Phil Kragnes, University of Minnesota
- Laurie Harrison, University of toronto
- Kevin Price, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Lisa Fiedor, North Carolina State University
- Don Amos, Pellissippi State Technical Community College
- David Schwarte, Purdue university
- Wayne Dick, California State University, Long Beach
- Robert Dumas, Blackboard
- Saroj Primlani, North Carolina State University
Progress on Letters
HR - We have 54 colleges in the consortium who will be contacted.
HR - Lanny suggested to send also to Peter Segall, President of United States higher Education
HR - 5 confirmed signatures
LF - VP of Distance Education
PK - Instructinal Media Coordinator
DS - Who will sign it?
DA - VP of Information Technology
LH - CIO
WD - Will contact Vice Chancellor of Academic IT
Possibility of a QA member joining our discussion
HR - Robert has not heard back from the QA manager as of yet concerning a member of that team join our discussion group.
JG - IMS: Committee on Institutional Cooperation connected to IMS Corsortium.
Revisiting the Goals of this Group
Jon - Establishing a stronger connection with Blackboard. There has been movement. [So, we need to reconnect.] Need to expand customer support, QA to include accessibility.
HR - The connection will be closer.
JG - We may need to reconfigure to meet with different groups.
KP - Smaller groups QA, interface design but maybe quarterly we have an overall group update.
Identify topics to be discussed with support team
PK - Technical Support Team need to understand the basics of AT (Assistive Technologies)
JG - Technical Support Team need to understand the basics of accessibility related problems such as extended quiz time (occomodation issues), customizing the display for visually impaired, etc.
HR - Setup an internal infrastructure that the accessibility related problems are directed to the right people in the company.
HR – Should we provide necessary learning materials for the Company?
PK - They must need to know what the from support staff.
JG - That individuals with assistive tecnology are taken seriously and that problems are routed to QA, developer or appropriate people.
JG - Try to support accomodation issues
LH - Ask for expert user support and what they publically provide. Public face or expert level; we are looking for connection; competerors have help for disabilities.
HR - At customer support they need to know accessibility proficiency.
JG - Training, materials in a Blackboard course to be used internally.
PK - Hire people with disabilities to as service providers
JG - Do you employ people with disabilities; first hand testers
PK - Have a CIC include Blackboard help.
Identifying topics to be discussed with QA
LF - Maybe we need to look at front end of the process
PK - Know the difference between standards compliance to functional accessibility.
JG - All back end, we need some assurance...
HR - Do we want to be part of the testing process.
JG - Group testing really needs to advise functional features.
JG - What is accessibility criteri and how they are tested?
HR - Do we want to be their beta tesers? Consesus: Yes
HR - Access to an up-to-date server
- Please contact Hadi Rangin (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested to work to be included in any of the collaboration groups.