Time: 1:00 PM CST
- Scribe: Srinivas Annam
- Grid behavior (discussion continued)
WebMail Teleconference 03/08/2007
by: Hadi Rangin
- Date: March 15 2007
- time: 2:00 PM EDT; 1:00 PM CDT; 12:00 PM MDT; 11:00 AM PDT
- Phone: 217 265-9888
- Scribe: TBD
- Don Evans
- Matt Anderson
- Hadi Rangin
- Jon Gunderson
- Ken Petri
- Mike Scott
- Srinivas Annam
- How can you quickly toggle back and forth between Row and Column Navigation mode? Consider, you are in Column Navigation mode and somewhere middle in a row e.g. column 3. How can you toggle quickly to Row Navigation Mode? currently, the quickest way is Homme and then left arrow.
- Do we stay in column navigation Mode if we select/deselect a row while we are in Column Navigation Mode? Currently, space selects/deselects a row in both Row and Column Navigation Modes. Consider, you are in Column Navigation mode and you press space key to select/deselect that row. Do we want that we stay in the same mode? General consensus: The focus doesn't change and we stay in the same navigation mode. This practically would mean that the checkbox will be checked/unchecked (if we have checkbox style implementation) and/or the row gets highlighted/dehighlighted and the focus and navigation mode stay unchanged.
- Control+space What do we want to do with Control+space? We have defined control+space for selecting non-consecutive selection of rows. * Isn't it the same as going a row regardless it is consecutive or non-consecutive row and pressing space to select it? General consensus: Keep it as defined above to be more consistent with control+left mouse click. * What happens in Column Navigation Mode? should control+space in column navigation Mode perform the same function as it is in function as in the Row Navigation Mode? General consensus: Needs more discussion.
- Shift+up/down arrow currently, shift+up/down arrow are defined to select Consecutive selection of rows. * What happens in Column Navigation Mode? Should rows be selected or the contents of the cells? column selection is not recommended by Don. However, Hadi believes in column navigation mode the contents of cells should be selected. For example, if you are in column navigation mode and you are in the subject column, shift+up/down arrows should select the contents of the consecutive rows namely the subjects of the consecutive rows. This can be a very useful feature for everyone.
- Control+up/down arrows currently, it is moving the focus to : a. 1st/last row, if you are in continues scrolling view. b. 1st/last row, if you are in paging view mode with the scrolling option. What's page view with scrolling option? Consider, you can view 10 messages at a time and you are currently viewing row 11 through 20. Page view mode with scrolling option means that you can go to the row 9 or 21 without clicking on the previous or next page. c. 1st/last row in the current page, if you are in page view mode with fixed size display rows. General consensus: Needs more discussion. * Are the above definitions acceptable to everyone? * What happens if we are in column navigation mode? suggestion: If we are in column navigation mode, the focus should stay in the same column while traveling along the rows.
- Page-up/page-down * What behavior we want for page-up/down in the following views/modes: a Page View with fixed display rows? b Page View with scrolling option? c Continues Scrolling View? Does page up/down make sense in continues scrolling view? please discuss! * If you page-up/down while in column Navigation Mode, what happens? Do we stay in the same column while traveling along the rows? Suggestion: yes, we should stay in the same mode as we page up or down.
- Control+page-up/page-down * Any use for it? Maybe go to first and last page when you are in page view mode? * Does it make sense in continues scrolling mode?
- control+home/end * What do you think the control+home/end should do in the following views/modes? a. Page View with fixed display rows and Row Navigation Mode? a. Page View with fixed display rows and column Navigation Mode? c. Page View with scrolling option and Row Navigation Mode? d. Page View with scrolling option and column Navigation Mode? e. Continues Scrolling View and Row Navigation Mode? f. continues Scrolling View and Column Navigation Mode?
- Enter We discussed to use it to open the currently focused message/row. * Is the above behavior acceptable to everyone? * What about if you are in column navigation mode? Suggestion: It should do exactly as in row navigation mode.
- Shift+enter Shift+enter is usually used to open a link in a new window. This is a very useful feature to screen reader users. * is acceptable to everyone to define shift+enter to open the message/row in a new window?
- Shift+Right/left arrow When in column navigation mode, it selects the content of cells to be used later to be copied in the system buffer. This is again another useful feature that everyone including screen reader users can benefit from it. * Is the above behavior is acceptable to everyone?
- Misc questions * Do we want wrapping? Hadi: Wrapping can be very confusing for screen reader users. So Hadi's suggestion would be no. * Can you perform operation such as deletion on a row which is in Column Navigation mode? If yes, what happens after deletion? Does it go to the next/previous row in Column or Row navigation mode? * Is table markup assumed for layout? If different markup is used how column navigation can be defined? * What about Control+a? Should it highlights rows in the page view mode when in row navigation? Should it highlights the contents of all cells in the column with the focus in the display view range?
- Please contact Hadi Bargi Rangin (e-mail: email@example.com) to be added to or deleted from the discussion list
- Discussion list archives
IRC Server and Channel Information
This will provide a means to share information during a teleconference and see the minutes in real time.
- Server: irc.w3.org
- Port number: 6665
- Channel: #webmail